Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New St. George Airport

January 12 was a very big day for St. George. The new airport opened and it was apparently 20 years in the making and planning. Aaron was there working security and I really could have cared less about going to the opening of something like this...until Aaron told me a member of the first Presidency of the church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) would be there. I said "I HAVE TO GO!" President Dieter F. Uchtdorf was present to give the dedicatory prayer. Aaron was one of his "body guards" if you will. How awesome is that!?!?! He got to chit-chat with him a couple times. Aaron did tell him I said hi and President Uchtdorf said "Bless her heart." Now I know he would have said that about anyone, but still meant something to me. I wasn't too far from the podium for the dedication; maybe 15-20 feet. It was so neat! I could not believe the number of people that went and how crowded it was; the newspaper later reported that 5,000 people attended the airport opening day and when I left after the dedication I passed MILES of stopped cars waiting to get in. Man am I glad I knew someone on the inside! I didn't think there was anything at or about the airport to be worth all the fuss, but whatever. I just enjoyed seeing and hearing President Uchtdorf and getting a parking spot right outside the front doors (only went 45 minutes early) and leaving without any waiting or lines. It was worth it to me to go see an Apostle of God. There really are advantages to living in Utah.

2 comments:

The Sanford Family said...

That is soooo awesome!!!!!!!! I sitll don't understand why they dedicated an airport. Not that I don't think they should. Is that a normal thing to do?

Miriam H said...

Wow that is really awesome...I'm still surprised to hear that they dedicated the Airport! Gotta love Utah!