
May 26th was my 25 week mark (picture 5/29) and baby is approximately 13.5 inches long and 1.5 lbs which is about the same as a rutabaga.

My 26 week mark was June 2 (picture 6/6) and baby was about 14 inches long (an English hothouse cucumber) and 1 2/3 lbs.

By that point I could no longer see under my belly and it got really uncomfortable to bend down at all. Wednesday June 8 I had my routine OB appointment and Tuesday the 14th another specialist visit. All was well at the OB: belly measured right on track at 26 cm and baby heartbeat was great. There was an interesting skipping rhythm to it and doc said that meant he had the hiccups. Made me laugh; it was cute.

From here on out Dr. Lunt said he'll see me every two weeks (typical to be seen every other week starting at 28 weeks). He also ordered more blood work to be done and gave me the order to do the glucose test for gestational diabetes. Thankfully the test was negative (so no diabetes) and the blood work for my titer was high but not beyond what it has been so that's good.

June 9 was 27 week mark and baby is almost 2 lbs (like a head of cauliflower) and 14.5 inches long. Had a very unpleasant day that very day.

Was planning to go do the glucose test that morning but wasn't feeling up to it--my bowels felt strange. Ended up with a miserable discomfort in the lower regions, a sensation like I had to urinate really bad but there was no relief. That's exactly how it felt at the beginning of my kidney stone last fall so I worried. I didn't feel like doing anything so I never got dressed and couldn't do anything but feel miserable. Porter was a perfect angel and content to watch shows all day and went down for his nap just fine. I felt the discomfort (it thankfully never turned into the excruciating pain I experienced with the stone) from about 9am-5pm and then it kind of went away. I tried to get a hold of my doctor's office all day to see what I should do and if I should come in. All I got to do was leave a message and finally got a call back at 5:30pm. I was instructed to come in to the office first thing in the morning, unless I felt the pain/discomfort again then it was straight to labor and delivery. I was feeling so much better that evening so I made it to Roundtable for Scouts and ran a few errands while I was feeling okay. When I went to the doctor the next day (Friday the 10th) they took a urine sample and when I saw it was brown from having blood in it, I couldn't hold back tears and really started to freak myself out. I had thoughts of kidney stones, or failing kidneys, or something not good that would land me in the hospital and jeopardize my baby. Then they put me in the same exam room I was in when I went for my 35 week routine appointment with Porter and found I was dilated to a 7. That very minute I was sent to the hospital to have a baby. I'm never in that room so the deja vu and memory of that day freaked me out. I was also worried when the nurse came in the room in a hurry and said "We need you to undress waist down." She threw a paper drape on the table and rushed out. I thought "Uh-oh, this isn't good." The nurse practitioner (she is so nice) came in (again with the deja vu 'I've been here done this--last time you sent me to the hospital to have a baby') and checked me. She wanted to make sure my cervix was what it should be (closed and not dilated) and thankfully all was well! Then she told me it was a UTI (urinary track infection)/bladder infection and would clear up with 7 days of antibiotics. I wanted to celebrate. I was so happy that's all it was and not the alternative. We scheduled a follow up appointment for a week later but didn't need that after all. I was back into the doctor...again...within a few days.

Here's where things changed. I felt good on Friday (the day I went to the doctor) and back to normal and as good as new Saturday (LOVED the adult session of Stake Conference). Sunday morning--June 12th--I woke up feeling pressure in the very low region and I thought "Weird", but attributed it to the UTI. Got dressed and ready for church and went to Stake Conference. I wanted to stay for the whole two hours so bad but after thirty minutes the pressure was so intense it was getting to be beyond uncomfortable and I couldn't listen or concentrate. I told Aaron it was time to go and I felt bad for leaving. Porter was so cute; as we walked out of the chapel into the hall we told him we were going home. His response, "No! Go class!" He wanted to go to his nursery class! So cute!!! At home I thought I would wait it out and hoped it would go away. It started to go from pressure to pain so I called my personal RN (my awesome, amazing sister Michelle) who I go to first for every medical concern/question/advice and I ended up getting a hold of her later. I called Labor and Delivery at the hospital to ask if I should come in. I was told yes if I needed to but maybe try calling Dr. Lunt's office first. His answering service paged him and he called me. I explained I felt pressure and asked if it was a normal UTI result (although I thought it was strange since I was going on 3 days of antibiotics and had been completely fine the previous 2 days). He said it was a common pregnancy complaint but if it worsened or if I felt I needed to go in to be seen at L& D or to the clinic (his office) the next day. Monday's are his surgery days but he said I could get in to be seen. So I decided I should wait and see how I felt. The pressure and pain persisted and when I started making a lot of grunts and sounds Aaron (who was trying to take a nap) asked if it was time to go in. I said yes. I really didn't think it was contractions (although I felt that pressure when I went into preterm labor with Porter) because it was a constant feeling but thought I'd better be safe than sorry and get checked. We dropped Porter off to play with his cousins (he was so excited) and on the way to the hospital I cried because it hurt and I was kind of scared. We got to the hospital about 1pm and ended up being there in triage for almost 3.5 hours.

I went through the routine: got naked and slipped into a sexy hospital gown with all the openings (ha ha), urine sample, hooked up to monitors (one to monitor baby heartbeat and the other to monitor any contractions if there were any), asked a million questions, and waited. Brianna (?) was the nurse who checked me in and Melanie was my nurse from there on out. Aaron kept busy watching a movie on his iPad and holding my hand when I needed. I sent updates/text messages to friends and family and called my sisters. Michelle is always so helpful explaining medical things to me in layman's terms and telling me things to ask. Thankfully no contractions at all and Caleb looked perfect. His heartbeat was great and he was moving the entire time. He kept kicking the monitors like they were invading his space; made me laugh. Funny little fighter. The longer we were there the better I felt--physically and emotionally. The pain subsided and I wasn't so worried once I found out there was no indication of labor. I was told it was probably just experiencing the UTI and there was blood in my urine because of that. Due to my history of preterm labor the nurse said Dr. Lunt wanted to do one more thing just to check something out before I was sent home. She checked my cervix and thankfully it was good and closed, then she did a swab test called the Fetal Fibronectin Test (fFN). Here is an online explanation:
"Fetal fibronectin is a 'glue-like' protein that bonds your developing baby to your uterus. Fetal fibronectin is detectable in vaginal secretions in the very beginning of pregnancy, when this bond is first forming, and then again at the end of pregnancy, when your body is getting ready to deliver your baby. fFN is a special protein that literally holds your baby in place in the womb. After the 35th week of pregnancy, it begins to break down naturally, and is detectable. If your body is getting ready to give birth prematurely, fFN may be detected before week 35. A fFN test...can help your doctor tell if your body may be getting ready for delivery, even before you feel any of the symptoms."
[http://www.ffntest.com/info/fetal_test/what_fetal.html]
They did the test just as a precaution but didn't expect anything from it. We waited and waited and the nurse came back very surprised that it was a positive test result. She said it's a test that indicates early delivery. She told me it's not 100% accurate test but the next day Dr. Lunt told me pretty much that it was. I was given a Betamethasone (1M) steroid shot--as a precaution/"just in case"--for developing baby's lungs faster and told to return in exactly 24 hours for the second injection. It was given in my right hip (and it HURT) and would have to be in the other hip the next day. I was also instructed to be on restricted activity for the next 24 hours: she said go home, sit down, don't make dinner, don't do housework, and just don't do anything. We were discharged about 4:30pm and we got our little tired boy and went home. I sat on the couch and started drinking LOTS of water. My bestie Audrey sent over lasagna for dinner which was so kind, helpful, thoughtful, and delicious! Aaron took care of Porter (who first fell asleep in my arms on the couch; I gave him a million kisses) and we watched several episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" (hilarious show). I got up to pee a lot (very good; had to move along the healing process of the bladder infection). I was planning to be at the hospital the next day--Monday the 13th--at 4pm for my second shot, but Dr. Lunt's office called that morning and asked if I could come in to get the shot and talk to him. (So we of course canceled the appointment I had for Wednesday which was a follow up from last week's UTI diagnosis.) I went in at 1pm and was given the second injection in the left hip. The nurse had me stand for that, which made me nervous thinking I would buckle and fall to the floor, but it didn't hurt as bad going in as the first one. Once it was over I sure felt it's wrath and it was pretty painful. Dr. Lunt (he is such a great doctor) came in to talk to me about the fFN test result and about the results of the last blood work done. He checked my cervix--still closed. He said to stay on restricted activity for an undetermined amount of time: no housework, no shopping, no walking around. I asked what the difference was between that and bed rest. I was basically told on bed rest you can only get up to use that bathroom but that's it. Sounds about the same to me. I told him I had a lot of things planned and coming up (trips, Porter swim lessons, etc), and responsibilities (church calling, Scouts). I asked how long I needed to do this...until a certain time, until baby was born...but he said we'll see how it goes but be on restricted activity until we get further along. I asked if I could still go to our previously planned trip to Manti for the pageant next week. He was a tiny bit hesitate but basically said go, just get there and don't walk around; find seats at the pageant and sit. I said OK! Soooo, for now I have to lay low and not do much. Thankfully so many friends and neighbors have offered to help in any way they can and take Porter whenever needed. That's what I'm most concerned about so I will be calling and sending Porter to friends houses to play; don't want him to be cooped up and get cabin fever. Family is always there with unconditional love and help so we have a great support group around us. For that I am extremely grateful. It's hard to ask for help or even accept it, especially when I know there are so many people who need it more, but there are times when it just needs to be accepted. One thing is for sure now--I'm going to start taking sleeping pills! Past two night haven't had much sleep. Have been waking up several times a night or early early morning to pee or feeling the pressure which is uncomfortable, and then I'm wide awake. And forward we go.
3 comments:
I'm so glad you're still pregnant and that all is well (for the most part). I know what you mean about the sleeping pills. I actually took Tylenol PM for the last month because the pain kept me up all night. Before that I took Melatonin because I'm one of those people who freak out that I'm going to get addicted to the meds that I'm on. Keep us posted on everything, and I know it's hard but try to lay low for a while. We'll be keeping you in our prayers!
Glad everything is ok! If you ever need anything call me!
It is so nice that you have family so close that you can count on! That is something I wish I had.
Sounds to me like you need a wheelchair for Aaron to push you around in :) -Allyson
Let me know if you need anything! I was on 'restricted activity" with Ko for weeks then ended up on bedrest for a couple more so I totally get what its like! I had to keep lots of things for me to do while sitting there because I felt so helpless just sitting watching everyone do what I felt like I should be able to! Wish you the best. Call anytime.
Post a Comment