Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rockin' R Ranch

On day 3 of our Richfield trip (June 3) we stopped at Rockin' R Ranch in Antimony, Utah on our way home. It was sooooo much fun! The highlight of our trip. Amberly's cousin manages the ranch and they showed us a great time. The kids got to pet and interact with a foal (baby horse), horses, goats, lambs, pot-belly pig, and puppies. They also got to canoe, play on the playground, and ride the barrel bull.
Porter and his friend Dax.
Porter got to ride a black horse named Dopey. He was such a good little rider; I was so proud.





Porter tried to feed the goat pieces of grass to which he paid no attention.
Aaron took a turn and got Dopey as well.

Aaron giving us a "yee-haw!"
Aaron took Porter out in the canoe in the pond. Porter loved it.
I'm not sure of the exact purpose of the noose-looking hanging rope (maybe it is a rope swing for jumping in and swimming?), but Aaron ended up grabbing a hold of it to swing around. He almost fell in; I missed it all trying to get the camera and video camera on. For some reason he wouldn't repeat. =P
Porter picking more "flowers" for me--little sweetie pie!
After seeing all the animals we played on the playground.
Beautiful, huge cabin with a lot of rooms. It was a maze in there.

After I had a chance to relieve my waters (pee) I decided I would like to ride a horse. I know, kinda rude since they had already been put away, but how often do I get a chance? I got a horse named Little Reba who had no desire whatsoever to be ridden. Guess she was enjoying her relax time. She would not do anything I told her to or go any direction to walk except back to the entrance. Stinker. So it was a very short ride but I was just happy I got a chance.




The barrel bull was entertaining and really good for a few laughs. Jed and Aaron both took a turn on that.





Porter didn't like it so much.
When we were all asked if anyone wanted a chance to ride the real thing--a young bull--Aaron and Jed both said, "Yeah!" The waiver was brought out and Aaron signed his life away, but it wasn't until he saw the four cowboys coming out to get the animals that he thought maybe he should rethink his decision.
He was excited beforehand and gave me a pose. I was hoping he'd still be able to smile after too.
Oh the anticipation.
Aaron said the most nerve-wracking part was being in the corral when it was going crazy. Aaron ended up getting three rides/tries and the last one was his best. Didn't last long on but he said if he could do it more he'd get the hang of it.
And still smiling after! Success.
Jed took a turn and once was good enough for him. He landed on his rear and it took days to heal.

The boys proved victorious! I was proud of them trying something new and potentially dangerous. Took guts for sure. After the ride Aaron said he wanted a t-shirt that read "Why ride a barrel when you can ride a bull?"
http://www.rockinrranch.com/?gclid=CIHGre3zwqkCFYgH2godq3Bkcw
After playing hard at the ranch we stopped a mile down the road at an RV park where there is a teeny tiny place to eat called the Back Door Cafe. Two people total worked there (our cook and server) and they were very kind and hospitable.
While we waited for food the kids played football and horseshoes.


We had hamburgers, fries, and sandwiches and it was delicious! The best part was the homemade pie afterward. Aaron shared the Oreo pie with his friend and I shared the coconut cream pie with my friend. That had to have been the best coconut cream pie I have ever had; it was heaven. I would go back just for that! What a wonderful day we enjoyed and we all slept very well that night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie, that brought back so many great memories. We went there for youth conference when I was 14. It was awesome! And yes, I did ride the live bull. Wow! the cabin is beautiful. We slept in bunks from converted chicken coops.

The Sanford Family said...

You guys always do such fun activities! It almost makes me want to live there!