
June 27th-July 8th Porter had swim lessons at the WCCC. They were weekdays, Monday-Friday (minus the 4th of July), for 30 minutes 11:15-11:45am. It's $30 and I think well worth the organized play time and being around other kids doing the same thing. It was our third year of doing Parent/Tot swim class and we both LOOOOVE it!!! Next year Porter will fit the requirements to move to the next level: 3 years old and potty trained. My plan for next year is to have Porter do the next level up and I'll do the parent/tot class with baby Caleb, who should be about a year by then. Porter was only 9 months when we went the first time and that's where I started dunking him under water. He was such a cute baby!!! Porter did great this year! He was old enough to understand and do everything: blew bubbles, kicked his legs and move his arms at the same time (doing 'tiger claws'), jump in the water, and follow any and all directions. So proud of my boy!

Due to the first week of swim class being the week prior to the 4th of July, and Porter having more than one appropriately patriotic shirt, I deemed it Porter's "red/white/blue" week! He wore his red/white/blue swim wear all week and a different shirt each day. [All of these pictures just cover the first week 6/27-7/1.]


He thought the lockers were so fun to play in. Silly kid.

Not wanting to cooperate for pictures but being so cute anyway.

*Cheeeeeeeeeese.....how long do I have to stand heeeeere.....*

Porter had the same "I make a lot of noise" tank when he was a baby.

The back of his left leg on the calf he had some sort of bump that ended up with a circle around it and got so much bigger. We did go to the doctor but it was nothing.


LOVE this shirt/tank: the red lines say "Home of the Brave" and the white lines say "Land of the Free".





Wearing layered red and white shirts, blue Adidas short, and his blue Croc's.



Our 30 minute lessons were divided into 5 minute sessions of different games or songs to teach them another skill. Each class started out playing with toys and practice swimming; there was a frog, whale, duck, or octupus. They would throw they toy they chose and swim to it. Porter did great. Then they got a ring--or "wheel"--and we'd get in a circle to sing "The Wheels on the Bus". During the first verse of wheels going round and round they would "drive the bus" by turning their circles. Then it was wipers on the bus go swish and we'd move the kids side to side. Next the kids on the bus went up and down--we took them in and out of the water. Then the people would blow their bubbles, and we'd end with the horn on the bus goes beep beep beep. We would repeat the song two more times. Then it was time for motor boat. They would drive the wheels and we'd go in a circle chanting, "Motor boat motor boat go so slow..." (slow kicks), "Motor boat motor boat go so fast!" (fast kids), and "Motor boat motor boat run out of gas" (blow bubbles in water). We would change directions to go the other way, then do it again with the kids floating on their backs. Then we'd hop on the choo-choo train to go to the zoo and go "Chuga-chuga-chuga-chuga-choo-choo!" all around the section of the pool while the kids hung onto the side. On the other end we'd stop and visit the animals. First it was tigers and they would do "Tiger claws, tiger claws, scratch scratch scratch" to practice swimming with their arms. Next we would visit the monkey's and sing the monkeys in the tree song and teasing the alligators who snap them out of the tree. Next we would "talk to the fishes" (blow bubbles) and listen to their answers (put ear in the water). Then airplane arms (Porter was so good at that) back to the other side. We did the pancake song three times where the kids float on their back and we put "toppings" on their tummies and then sing (tune of "I'm a Little Teapot"): "I'm a little pancake on my back, I'm a little pancake nice and flat. I'm a little pancake on my back; flip me over just like that." Porter loved being flipped to his tummy and always put his arms out like airplane arms. Twice we did the Hokey-pokey but we usually ended doing jumps off the side into the water (I would dunk Porter under a few times when I'd catch him), and maybe a little free time.

There was a dinosaur hiding in the lockers and it kept roaring and scaring me! ;)


I love doing special things with my little boy, and things that make him happy, like swim class. =D
No comments:
Post a Comment