Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Natalie's 30th Birthday! (& Golden Flashback)

Happy Birthday to meee....Happy Birthday to me.....I'm 30!!! (Horrible picture but only one of me from my first day as a 30 year old.) Tuesday March 29th of 2011 I turned over another decade.
Best part of my birthday: my boys singing Happy Birthday to me. Porter was so cute! I woke up to Aaron singing to me but Porter didn't join in. That evening he did and it was perfect.
Any time a candle is lit or a match struck everyone has to get the Happy Birthday song according to Porter. So we sang to Daddy and Porter too. I had such a nice day. Went to lunch with my bestie to one of my favorite restaurtants--Benja's Thai--while Porter stayed home with Daddy. Had gone there to eat the Friday before with two of my friends for an early birthday celebration. I had a yummy week. After lunch I did a little shopping and stopped at Sweet Tooth Fairy to buy cupcakes (didn't want to make a cake for my own birthday but needed something to put a candle in to blow out). Bought one and got three free! Got coconut, grasshopper (mint chocolate), cheesecake, and strawberry. Yum yum yum! That night Aaron and I went on a date (Porter played with cousins and had SO much fun) to eat chinese (Panda Gardens at my request although Aaron didn't enjoy his dinner) and out to a movie. Saw "Limitless". It was really good although not exactly my kind of movie; more of an Aaron movie. The middle was a little too intense for me and the cut off hands gross, but great idea of a person being able to use 100% of their brain. It ended well in my opinion and after seeing it was glad I saw it. It was a wonderful quiet birthday.Sunday April 3rd after General Conference we had a family birthday celebration at our house. Hamburgers, chocolate cake (I put the candle's in a smiley face), presents, and talk time. Always fun gatherings!
Flashback!!! Last year was my golden birthday--turned 29 on the 29th--so Aaron gave me the surprise party I wanted and hoped for. Hawaiian themed. It was wonderful! My birthday was on Monday but we had the party Sunday evening on the 28th. Aaron told me we were going to family dinner to celebrate my birthday (normal tradition) but had to make a detour "to get something for work" from Johnny who was at his parents house. Sneaky sneaky! If only I had not been sick I would have been able to enjoy it a little more. I had a bug or the flu or something; spent the weekend feeling like poo and throwing up. We had visitors that weekend too: Aaron's friend and mission trainer Jordan Marshall and my friend Kristin (with child) and her husband Ionuts. No fun being sick when you want to play and have fun. Johnny's parents are so kind to us and so nice to let us use their house for my party. Aaron and Johnny were partners for so long that he became another son to them. I thought it was strange of Aaron to say that day--as I lay sick and dying in bed--"I need you to be better for tonight." I thought what a weird, rude thing to say. As if I had a choice and could push the "off" button for being sick. I figured no big deal if I miss family dinner, but of course this is why he said that.
Party was complete with decorations from the party store, grass skirts as props for the pictures, the lei's and plastic coconut cups I'd collected and saved for a long time (always knew I wanted to have a Hawaiian party at some point), dinner, games (Limbo and hula-hoop contest which I happened to win), presents, and fun! I could tell Aaron really went to a LOT of work to do it all and Johnny helped. I was extremely grateful and very appreciative for everyone involved and all the love and time Aaron put into making me feel loved.
Johnny the man. Was so sad his wife (and my friend) Alicia couldn't be there. Think it was a sick kid that kept her home.
Aaron and Johnny really went to a lot of work for my party. They carved out this pineapple and put a tropical smoothie/slushy drink inside for me, the birthday girl. The pale, white, sickly birthday girl.
Aaron went all out--food catered by Texas Roadhouse and chocolate dipping fountain. Too bad I didn't get to enjoy any of it; everything made me want to puke. I was ticked the next day when I felt good enough to eat and Aaron hadn't brought any food or cake home. I wanted it then! During the party I kept having to sneak away to the bathroom because I kept feeling the need to...um...you know, "up chuck." Thankfully I didn't.
My amazing HUGE birthday cake as a gift to me from a friend at the party. Loved it!
The candle was a singing rotating thing; the flower opened up and spun around. It was crazy fun!
The birthday party crew.
The girls =D

No comments: