
Baby Boy Bergquist!!!! What a cute little profile. This was from the ultrasound at 16 weeks. We'll be having one every few weeks or so. Gotta keep a close eye on the little guy. Exciting news: baby now has a name--we decided on April 12th. CALEB!!!! I'm so happy to have a name to call this baby boy and something we both love. (I do have a first cousin named Calob but I don't think he'll mind.) Caleb Michael Bergquist. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Caleb was a protector and friend to Moses (in the Bible) and that's significant to us. He was also the only one besides Joshua who actually made it to the promised land. One online source said it's an Israeli name (also read it's of Hebrew origin and means "whole-hearted") that means "faithful". We liked the name Porter because Porter Rockwell was a neat person in church history who was the Prophet Joseph Smith's bodyguard, and the name is of Latin origin (one source said English origin) and means "gate keeper".

This is a picture of the ultrasound picture that shows baby is a boy. The computer arrow is pointing to the obvious. Evidence the little guy is a male.

17 weeks along on March 31st! Baby is popping out. This week baby size was compared to a turnip; I didn't have one of those so just took a picture with the number of weeks. Had an OB appointment at 18 weeks and baby heartbeat good at 138. Had blood work done (they drew 6 vials!!! what's left of me?) and got to visit my favorite NICU baby (Thomas) since I was just a floor away. He is soooooooo tiny and sooooooooo precious! I wanted to put him in my pocket and take him home (and amazingly that is literally possible he's so small). Thankfully he is doing as great as you could as a preemie to be; just needs to beef up a bit and gain some poundage, and get through a mouth surgery. Little dude is tough and a fighter. I'm so proud of the progress he's made! Continually praying for the little guy.

Didn't have a bell pepper for size comparison at 18 weeks. The more times goes on the less likely I have the food they compare baby to, so it will mostly be numbers. Second perinatologist appointment was at 19 weeks and I saw Dr. Jackson (one of the four doctors who travel down here from SLC to work in Maternal Fetal Medicine). He was the first doctor to give me some shred of hope that we could almost go full term! He said, for example, if baby was severely anemic and we did a blood transfusion at 34 weeks then we could push delivery back to 36 weeks. 37 weeks is considered full term so that's not bad. He said after 34 weeks if a transfusion was needed they would rather deliver and do a newborn transfusion because there are fewer risks. He explained what they consider to be the levels of anemia, those being mild, moderate, and severe. Dr. Jackson said Porter would be considered a mild case since he never had a transfusion (he almost did but NICU doctors wanted to try something else and we never had to do it). A moderate case would be a baby who has a transfusion post-delivery, and severe is if baby gets transfused in utero. Both Dr. Esplin and Dr. Jackson have given me the idea that they expect this baby to just have a mild case, which makes me happier considering the alternative. We do have to have frequent follow ups just to be sure however, but that's good because better safe than sorry! These guys give me a glimmer of hope and sunshine. The last specialist I saw made it sound more like we could expect a severe case and that's scary. I'm told we will be doing non-stress tests starting at 32 weeks; did those with Porter twice a week. They put straps on my belly to monitor baby and measure everything (including fluids) and make sure baby is okay. My only minor frustration in this process right now is I can already tell how having 5 doctors (my OB and 4 rotating specialists) is going to get uncoordinated. Got 4 different doctors (specialists) with 4 different ideas, experiences, and opinions. Dr. Esplin said he wanted me to be seen every 3 weeks or more depending on how baby was doing. At the 19 week appointment Dr. Jackson said he didn't see a point for that appointment, reason being babies typically don't show signs of anemia until around 24 weeks, so come back in 5 weeks. I still have the possibility of seeing the two other doctors depending on their rotation schedule to come to St. G. Can we just all get on the same page please? Each time I also have told each doctor the story--meaning why I'm there, that they are seeing me for being Rh sensitized, never had rhogam shot, why, every detail of previous pregnancy--which I really don't mind talking about over and over again, but doesn't anyone ever read a chart?!?!?!

Ultrasound pictures of Caleb at 19 weeks (profile and foot). Aaron went to that appointment so that was the first time he'd seen him. I said he looked cute; Aaron said he looks like an alien. Men. *eye roll* Baby Caleb was so active! The technician kept laughing because she was having a hard time getting all the measurements she wanted from busy body boy. She said the same thing at our 16 week ultrasound--that he was moving all over.

My regular OB visit goes something like this: wait in waiting room, weight, BP, temperature, pulse, pee in a cup, wait for doctor, measure belly, listen to heartbeat, done. An appointment with the perinatologist is this: no waiting, weight, BP, ultrasound, consultation, done. Next specialist and OB appointments are in the same week at 24 weeks after I get back from meeting my new baby niece Eliza in Nashville. =D


Last week on the 14th I hit 19 weeks but didn't take a picture until that Saturday when I finally had a chance to get to the store to buy a tomato. Anything for a picture I say. =P
2 comments:
I love the name Caleb. Joshua's name is Joshua Caleb. Glad to hear the pregnancy is going so well!
Renee Clark
you are a ridiculously cute pregnant girl. Im so happy for you guys.
Post a Comment